I’m so excited to unveil this new feature on the blog: The Foodie Calendar of Events! 😀 I’ve always loved taking advantage of free festivals and events around the city, and of course, shelling out the money for the occasional food fest, bake sale, or charitable cause. Winterlicious, Summerlicious, and Veggielicious, I’m looking at all of you! I think it’s so important to feel connected to the community and I always look forward to the different seasonal things that go on as well.
I’ve done some research and I’ve compiled a bunch of great events that might be of interest to you all. Most of these events take places in Toronto and the GTA, but I’ve also included some a little further away for those who are interested in having a weekend away or taking a mini road trip. This is a work in progress, so I’m going to be consistently updating and adding to this. Please feel free to comment and let me know of anything new that comes up or anything I’ve missed. After this first installment, I’ll be putting this feature up under the header image so you can click and peruse anytime you want without having to sift through old posts. I hope you guys like this and hopefully you’ll find some stuff here that you’ll want to bookmark and check out!
- Hunger Awareness Day in Canada, sponsored by Food Banks Canada – Tuesday, May 31st. For more info on how you can get involved, how and where to donate to the cause, and how to do get involved in the Great Canadian Lunch-In, click here.
Community Events, Seminars, and Speakers
- The Culinarium Speaker Series: How to Grow an Urban Garden – Wednesday, May 25th from 7:30pm-9pm with speaker Nikki Holwell. Ticket price: $20 each (you can purchase up to 5 tickets). Located at 705 Mount Pleasant Rd. at the intersection of Soudan Ave. Click here for more info.
- The Culinarium Speaker Series: An Evening with Mario Pinque – Wednesday, June 1st from 7:30pm-9pm. Learn more cured meats and charcuterie from Mario Pinque, owner and co-founder of Niagara Food Specialties. Ticket price: $20 each (you can purchase up to 5 tickets). Located at 705 Mount Pleasant Rd. at the intersection of Soudan Ave. Click here for more info.
- The Junction’s 1st Annual Vegetarian & Vegan Potluck! – Saturday, June 11th at 5pm. Location: Green Lavender Eco Store & Yoga Studio at 2842 Dundas St. West, just east of Keele St. Click here for all the details on what you can bring, what everyone else might be bringing, and to RSVP to the event.
- Toronto Vegan Scavenger Hunt – Saturday, June 25th from 12pm noon-6pm. Location: Kensington Market. For more info on what the vegan scavenger hunt is and how to register and play, click here.
- Oshawa Centre Farmers’ Market – every Friday from 8am-5pm, starting May 6th to October (419 King St. W., Oshawa)
- The Distillery District Farmers’ Market – every Sunday from 10am-4pm, starting May 2nd to September 26th (55 Mill St, south of Front St. E and east of Parliament St.)
- The Stop Farmers’ Market @ Wychwood Barns – every Saturday from 8am-12pm noon (Wychwood Barns, 601 Christie St. at St. Clair Ave. W.)
- Trinity Bellwoods Farmers’ Market – every Tuesday from 3pm-7pm, starting May 10th to October 25th (the market is located at the northwest corner of Trinity Bellwoods Park at Dundas St. W. and Shaw St.)
- June 3rd-5th: Unionville Village Festival @ Main St. Unionville. Friday night Street Fest with food. Located in Markham, ON. For more info, click here.
- June 12th: 15th Annual Festival on Bloor. Located along Bloor St. West from Spadina Ave. to Bathurst St. from 12pm noon-6pm. The road will be closed off and open to pedastrian traffic for the festival. Live music, yummy food, and craft vendors. For more info, click here.
- June 16th-18th: 6th Annual Niagara Italian Festival. Located in Thorold, ON. For more info, click here.
- June 17th-18th: Markham Village Music Festival (with farmers’ market & food). Located at Main St. Markham. For more info, click here.
- June 17th-19th: 3rd Annual Beach BBQ and Brew Festival. An event focused on bringing together those who passionate about barbeque! Located at Woodbine Park. For more info, click here.
- June 19th-21st: FrancoFête @ The Harbourfront Centre. A celebration of francophone culture, with music, dance, and FOOD! For more info, click here.
- June 19th-25th: Oshawa Fiesta Week. A festival celebrating European, Asian, and Caribbean cultures and food. For more info, click here.
- June 25th-26th: 9th Annual Taste of Asia Festival @ Pacific Mall. Located in Markham, ON. For more info, click here.
Paid Ticket Events
- May 26th: Recipe for Change @ The St. Lawrence Market. Located in St. Lawrence Market North. For more info, click here.