I thank my lucky stars for television cooking shows. I don’t remember how many times I’ve mentioned this on the blog (or if I’ve mentioned it at all), but I adore Food Network on Channel 52 and I love Best Recipes Ever by Canadian Living with Kary Osmond on CBC, Channel 6. I watch them both religiously. I watch it on weekdays, weekends, while I’m scrapbooking, and after my soap operas. When I’m home during the day, my television lineup from 3pm-5pm is as follows: Best Recipes Ever on CBC, Michael Smith’s Chef at Home on Food Network, Ricardo & Friends, and Giada at Home. And don’t even get me started on Iron Chef, Best Thing I Ever Ate, and Guy Fieri’s Diners, Drive-Ins, and Dives. I avoid the reality tv type shows like the plague, but the ones I just listed? LOVE. I’d say 70% of my television consumption is dedicated to Food Network and food and cooking related shows (the other 30% is comprised of sports, soap operas, and the occasional prime time show such as Big Bang Theory which I love to pieces) and I’m telling you, I’ve learned so much from watching others cook.
My mum and I have Best Recipes to thank for this new dinner dish of ours. It’s SO simple that it makes me feel somewhat embarrassed that I didn’t think to do it like this before. My family and I eat rice on a pretty regular basis and one of my favourite home cooked meals is this minced pork fried rice my mum makes (which I will be blogging about soon) with minced pork, garlic, and lots of green onions. What we didn’t think to do was to flavour our rice with lemon zest to make a simple lemon rice. I KNOW. Lightbulb “duh” moment, right? So thanks to Best Recipes, we snatched a new dinner dish to put on our kitchen table and we absolutely love it.
Cooked rice (we used white Jasmine rice, but any rice will do) with the zest of one lemon (there are 4 people in my house, so if you’re cooking for yourself or for two people, half a lemon should be good enough), and as many chopped green onions/scallions as your heart desires. I love green onions so I dumped a bucket-full on my serving. If you wish you can mix in a little garlic and olive oil, but I left mine plain the first time around with just the lemon zest and green onions and I have to tell you, this rice is now going to be a staple in our home. Thank you television, I love you.