Okay, so it doesn’t really rhyme, but I like saying falafel so much I had to put that in there, ha! Continuing on with the weekly Grad Lounge feature, here’s what I have for you today:
Falafel!! You kind of saw that coming, didn’t you? Chick peas and/or fava beans in cute little patties or balls? Sign me up! Yet another tasty vegetarian concoction: falafel balls with spring mix salad, sundried tomato dressing, red bell peppers, pita wedges, and tahini sauce. I was all over that tahini sauce like mud on a pig. Hummus too? Good. Baba Ganoush? Goooood. *insert image of Joey from ‘Friends’ noshing on Rachel’s “trifle” that according to Ross, tasted like feet* </end nerdy ‘Friends’ moment>
Really, it’s crazy to think just how much wonderful food I’ve incorporated into my diet since I was a teenager. I wouldn’t say I was picky per se, but there were soooo many things I had yet to try and every month and every year I seemed to add new things to titillate my palate. Case in point: the first time I had falafel was two years ago (on a picket line, no less!) and I actually hated bell peppers as a kid. Now? I inhale them like nobody’s business.
I was tagged by Wini from winipedia to reveal 7 secrets about myself and I wanted to keep it food related, but it was rather hard thinking of 7 things that most people don’t know about me already! Here are the 7 secrets and quirks that I came up with:
- When I drink juice boxes, I bite and gnaw on the straw until it looks like it went through war and back.
- I have been known to eat cream cheese by the spoonful straight out of the container. Only one spoonful, but regardless, straight out of the tub. I love my cream cheese. A lot.
- I eat my sandwiches and burgers in a circle.
- The first time I tried brussel sprouts was just a month and a half ago. I had no idea what all the fuss was about when we were kids, I was genuinely clueless!
- I hate cauliflower.
- The sight and smell of caramel corn makes me NAUSEOUS. I had a very bad experience with caramel corn when I was 6 where I threw up for hours after eating it and just the sight and smell of it now makes me want to run away to the hills screaming.
- According to my mother who watched me eat to figure out why I often eat so slow, I chew my food 22 times. It’s no wonder I savour and enjoy my food so much. Hmm.
And to end off, a quote from my brother: *gorges on falafel* “This is so good, they taste just like meatballs!” 😀 It still makes me laugh just thinking about that *snorts at the carnivourous nature of my brother*. It’s win-win for everyone, baby.